mintty 0.9.7 doesn't work with groff-mingw

mintty 0.9.7 doesn't work with groff-mingw

Cesar Romani-4
I'm using mintty 0.9.7, msys 1.0.17, less 4.4.1 on Win XP.
mintty works fine with groff-1.20.1-2-msys but not with groff-mingw
version 1.20.1

If I do:
groff -Tascii -P-c -mandoc /usr/share/man/man1/bash.1|less

mintty hangs up indefinitely and you cannot proceed any further.
It only works if I do:
cat /usr/share/man/man1/bash.1 | groff -Tascii -P-c -mandoc | less

On the cmd console groff-mingw works fine.

Many thanks in advance,

--
Cesar

Re: mintty 0.9.7 doesn't work with groff-mingw

Andy Koppe
On 25 May 2011 16:05, Cesar Romani wrote:

> I'm using mintty 0.9.7, msys 1.0.17, less 4.4.1 on Win XP.
> mintty works fine with groff-1.20.1-2-msys but not with groff-mingw
> version 1.20.1
>
> If I do:
> groff -Tascii -P-c -mandoc /usr/share/man/man1/bash.1|less
>
> mintty hangs up indefinitely and you cannot proceed any further.
> It only works if I do:
> cat /usr/share/man/man1/bash.1 | groff -Tascii -P-c -mandoc | less
>
> On the cmd console groff-mingw works fine.

This sounds a lot like an issue Keith Marshall previously reported
regarding building groff-mingw in rxvt and that I reproduced in
mintty, which suggested that it's to do with the MSYS (nee Cygwin) pty
implementation rather than either terminal as such. The usual
explanations about incompatibility between interactive native console
programs and ptys didn't seem to apply though, but unfortunately I
never got round to do any more than confirm that the issue still
exists with recent Cygwin.

Right, since I can only see msys-groff in the mingw-get repository,
did you build mingw-groff from source? And is that with msys-less or
mingw-less?

Andy

On 25/05/2011 03:14 p.m., Andy Koppe wrote:
 > On 25 May 2011 16:05, Cesar Romani wrote:
 >> I'm using mintty 0.9.7, msys 1.0.17, less 4.4.1 on Win XP.
 >> mintty works fine with groff-1.20.1-2-msys but not with groff-mingw
 >> version 1.20.1
 >>
 >> If I do:
 >> groff -Tascii -P-c -mandoc /usr/share/man/man1/bash.1|less
 >>
 >> mintty hangs up indefinitely and you cannot proceed any further.
 >> It only works if I do:
 >> cat /usr/share/man/man1/bash.1 | groff -Tascii -P-c -mandoc | less
 >>
 >> On the cmd console groff-mingw works fine.
 >
 > This sounds a lot like an issue Keith Marshall previously reported
 > regarding building groff-mingw in rxvt and that I reproduced in
 > mintty, which suggested that it's to do with the MSYS (nee Cygwin) pty
 > implementation rather than either terminal as such. The usual
 > explanations about incompatibility between interactive native console
 > programs and ptys didn't seem to apply though, but unfortunately I
 > never got round to do any more than confirm that the issue still
 > exists with recent Cygwin.
 >
 > Right, since I can only see msys-groff in the mingw-get repository,
 > did you build mingw-groff from source? And is that with msys-less or
 > mingw-less?

Yes, I built mingw-groff from source and I'm using msys-less but the
problem happens with or without less.

Best regards,

--
Cesar