object not compiling

Lee Shallis
First the code snippet:
$(version): TARGET_OBJECTS+= $(O)$@.o
$(version): SOURCES+= $(S)$@.c
$(version): COMPILE_BIN=$(CC) $(TARGET_LIBS) $(Fc) $(TARGET_OBJECTS) $(Fo)
$(version): paths $(TARGET_OBJECTS); $(COMPILE_BIN) "$($@_OUT)"
    @echo VERSION_BUILD=$(VERSION_BUILD)
    @echo VERSION_MINOR=$(VERSION_MINOR)
    @echo VERSION_MAJOR=$(VERSION_MAJOR)
    @echo TARGET_OUT=$($@_OUT)
    @echo TARGET_OBJECTS=$(TARGET_OBJECTS)
    echo:$(TARGET_LARGE)_VERSION_BUILD=$(VERSION_NEXT_BUILD) > $(VMK)
    echo:$(TARGET_LARGE)_VERSION_MINOR=$(VERSION_NEXT_MINOR) >> $(VMK)
    echo:$(TARGET_LARGE)_VERSION_MAJOR=$(VERSION_NEXT_MAJOR) >> $(VMK)

# General linker files
$(O)CoditFileobj%.o: TARGET_HEADERS=$(FILEOBJ_H)
$(O)CoditFilelst%.o $(O)CoditFileent%.o: TARGET_HEADERS=$(FILELST_H)
$(O)CoditProcobj%.o: TARGET_HEADERS=$(PROCOBJ_H)
$(O)CoditProclst%.o $(O)CoditProcent%.o: TARGET_HEADERS=$(PROCLST_H)
# Target specific linker files
$(O)user.o $(O)test.o: TARGET_HEADERS=$(PROCLST_H)

# Produce linker files
$(O)%.o: $(S)%.c $(TARGET_HEADERS)
    $(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(VDEFS) $(Fc) "$<" $(Fo) "$@"

The problem I'm having is that the final object file that should be compiled is being ignored for some reason, it does Codit*.o just fine but when it gets to the target specific like test.o or user.o it just doesn't compile it and as a result the executable won't compile since the object file doesn't exist. Can anybody help me understand what is going wrong here?

Re: object not compiling

On 30/05/16 11:39, Lee Shallis wrote:

> First the code snippet: $(version): TARGET_OBJECTS+= $(O)$@.o
> $(version): SOURCES+= $(S)$@.c $(version): COMPILE_BIN=$(CC)
> $(TARGET_LIBS) $(Fc) $(TARGET_OBJECTS) $(Fo) $(version): paths
> $(TARGET_OBJECTS); $(COMPILE_BIN) "$($@_OUT)" @echo
> VERSION_BUILD=$(VERSION_BUILD) @echo
> VERSION_MINOR=$(VERSION_MINOR) @echo
> VERSION_MAJOR=$(VERSION_MAJOR) @echo TARGET_OUT=$($@_OUT) @echo
> TARGET_OBJECTS=$(TARGET_OBJECTS)
> echo:$(TARGET_LARGE)_VERSION_BUILD=$(VERSION_NEXT_BUILD) > $(VMK)
> echo:$(TARGET_LARGE)_VERSION_MINOR=$(VERSION_NEXT_MINOR) >> $(VMK)
> echo:$(TARGET_LARGE)_VERSION_MAJOR=$(VERSION_NEXT_MAJOR) >> $(VMK)
>
> # General linker files $(O)CoditFileobj%.o:
> TARGET_HEADERS=$(FILEOBJ_H) $(O)CoditFilelst%.o
> $(O)CoditFileent%.o: TARGET_HEADERS=$(FILELST_H)
> $(O)CoditProcobj%.o: TARGET_HEADERS=$(PROCOBJ_H)
> $(O)CoditProclst%.o $(O)CoditProcent%.o:
> TARGET_HEADERS=$(PROCLST_H) # Target specific linker files
> $(O)user.o $(O)test.o: TARGET_HEADERS=$(PROCLST_H)
>
> # Produce linker files $(O)%.o: $(S)%.c $(TARGET_HEADERS) $(CC)
> $(CFLAGS) $(VDEFS) $(Fc) "$<" $(Fo) "$@"
>
> The problem I'm having is that the final object file that should
> be compiled is being ignored for some reason, it does Codit*.o just
> fine but when it gets to the target specific like test.o or user.o
> it just doesn't compile it and as a result the executable won't
> compile since the object file doesn't exist. Can anybody help me
> understand what is going wrong here?

Frankly, on the basis of the code snippet you've shown, I doubt if
anyone can; to me, it is incomprehensible, (and I'm hardly a novice
when it comes to writing makefiles, having written those for the
current mingwrt and w32api).  Perhaps you need to show more, e.g.:

1) What are $(version), $(O) and $(S)?  (If $(S) is path to sources,
as seems a likely SWAG, maybe you should consider using VPATH, or vpath).

2) How are $(FILEOBJ_H), $(FILELIST_H), $(PROCOBJ_H), and $(PROCLST_H)
defined?  I don't see that above, and your target-specific variable
assignments depend on them.

Re: object not compiling

Lee Shallis
Yes those single letter ones are shorthand paths defined in a separate file, the header variables you mentioned are also defined in that same file, here's the snippet from there:
B:=$(TARGET_BINDIR)/$(DBG)
O:=$(TARGET_OBJDIR)/$(DBG)
S:=$(SRCDIR)/
OBJ_DIRECTORIES:=$(OBJDIR) $(TARGET_OBJDIR)
OUT_DIRECTORIES:=$(BINDIR) $(TARGET_BINDIR)
ALL_DIRECTORIES:=$(OBJ_DIRECTORIES) $(OUT_DIRECTORIES)
INCLUDES:=$(FI)"$(CC_INC)" $(FI)"$(SRCDIR)"
OUT_LIBS:=$(FL)"$(CC_LIB)" $(FL)"$(B)"
OBJ_LIBS:=$(FL)"$(CC_LIB)" $(FL)"$(O)"
SOURCES:=$(wildcard $(S)Codit*.c)
OBJECTS:=$(patsubst $(S)%.c,$(O)%.o,$(SOURCES))
#Headers
BASIC_H:=$(S)CoditBasic.h $(S)CoditBuild.h
FAULT_H:=$(S)CoditFault.h $(BASIC_H)
FILEOBJ_H:=$(S)CoditFileobj.h $(FAULT_H)
FILELST_H:=$(S)CoditFilelst.h $(FILEOBJ_H)
PROCOBJ_H:=$(S)CoditProcobj.h $(FILELST_H)
PROCLST_H:=$(S)CoditProclst.h $(PROCOBJ_H)
As for version that is just all the compile-able targets, in this case it's just:
version=user test
As for VPATH I'll move onto trying that once I get a working makefile for my targets as I'll upload that copy to my github repository before experimenting, I can always roll back the changes then.

On 30 May 2016 at 12:14, Keith Marshall <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 30/05/16 11:39, Lee Shallis wrote:
> First the code snippet: $(version): TARGET_OBJECTS+= $(O)$@.o
> $(version): SOURCES+= $(S)$@.c $(version): COMPILE_BIN=$(CC)
> $(TARGET_LIBS) $(Fc) $(TARGET_OBJECTS) $(Fo) $(version): paths
> $(TARGET_OBJECTS); $(COMPILE_BIN) "$($@_OUT)" @echo
> VERSION_BUILD=$(VERSION_BUILD) @echo
> VERSION_MINOR=$(VERSION_MINOR) @echo
> VERSION_MAJOR=$(VERSION_MAJOR) @echo TARGET_OUT=$($@_OUT) @echo
> TARGET_OBJECTS=$(TARGET_OBJECTS)
> echo:$(TARGET_LARGE)_VERSION_BUILD=$(VERSION_NEXT_BUILD) > $(VMK)
> echo:$(TARGET_LARGE)_VERSION_MINOR=$(VERSION_NEXT_MINOR) >> $(VMK)
> echo:$(TARGET_LARGE)_VERSION_MAJOR=$(VERSION_NEXT_MAJOR) >> $(VMK)
>
> # General linker files $(O)CoditFileobj%.o:
> TARGET_HEADERS=$(FILEOBJ_H) $(O)CoditFilelst%.o
> $(O)CoditFileent%.o: TARGET_HEADERS=$(FILELST_H)
> $(O)CoditProcobj%.o: TARGET_HEADERS=$(PROCOBJ_H)
> $(O)CoditProclst%.o $(O)CoditProcent%.o:
> TARGET_HEADERS=$(PROCLST_H) # Target specific linker files
> $(O)user.o $(O)test.o: TARGET_HEADERS=$(PROCLST_H)
>
> # Produce linker files $(O)%.o: $(S)%.c $(TARGET_HEADERS) $(CC)
> $(CFLAGS) $(VDEFS) $(Fc) "$<" $(Fo) "$@"
>
> The problem I'm having is that the final object file that should
> be compiled is being ignored for some reason, it does Codit*.o just
> fine but when it gets to the target specific like test.o or user.o
> it just doesn't compile it and as a result the executable won't
> compile since the object file doesn't exist. Can anybody help me
> understand what is going wrong here?

Frankly, on the basis of the code snippet you've shown, I doubt if
anyone can; to me, it is incomprehensible, (and I'm hardly a novice
when it comes to writing makefiles, having written those for the
current mingwrt and w32api).  Perhaps you need to show more, e.g.:

1) What are $(version), $(O) and $(S)?  (If $(S) is path to sources,
as seems a likely SWAG, maybe you should consider using VPATH, or vpath).

2) How are $(FILEOBJ_H), $(FILELIST_H), $(PROCOBJ_H), and $(PROCLST_H)
defined?  I don't see that above, and your target-specific variable
assignments depend on them.

We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

Re: object not compiling

Re: object not compiling

Lee Shallis
The lines that should match it is this
$(version): TARGET_OBJECTS+= $(O)$@.o
$(version): paths $(TARGET_OBJECTS); $(COMPILE_BIN) "$($@_OUT)"
# Produce linker files
$(O)%.o: $(S)%.c $(TARGET_HEADERS)
    $(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(VDEFS) $(Fc) "$<" $(Fo) "$@"
I just don't understand why it's not getting compiled when everything else is compiled just fine (By the way TARGET_OBJECTS is never defined outside the compile-able targets)

On 30 May 2016 at 13:22, Keith Marshall <[hidden email]> wrote:

We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

Re: object not compiling

Re: object not compiling

Lee Shallis
Not quite sure what you mean by that last bit, I'll look it up for while I wait for you to explain what you mean in the first bit cause I don't understand that at all.

On 30 May 2016 at 13:50, Keith Marshall <[hidden email]> wrote:

We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

Re: object not compiling

Re: object not compiling

Lee Shallis
On 30 May 2016 at 14:31, Keith Marshall <[hidden email]> wrote:
Even *one* line is too long, when it is placed, out of context,
​On 30 May 2016 at 13:22, Keith Marshall <[hidden email]> wrote:​
And which rule, from your original makefile snippet, do you think
should be responsible for building "user" and "test"?​

Given​ that question, how was this out of context?

On 30/05/16 13:40, Lee Shallis wrote:
The lines that should match it is this
$(version): TARGET_OBJECTS+= $(O)$@.o
$(version): paths $(TARGET_OBJECTS); $(COMPILE_BIN) "$($@_OUT)"
# Produce linker files
$(O)%.o: $(S)%.c $(TARGET_HEADERS)
    $(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(VDEFS) $(Fc) "$<" $(Fo) "$@"
I just don't understand why it's not getting compiled when everything else is compiled just fine (By the way TARGET_OBJECTS is never defined outside the compile-able targets)

Re: object not compiling

Lee Shallis

On 30 May 2016 at 14:31, Keith Marshall <[hidden email]> wrote:
​...​
; please read
http://redballoon.net/~snorwood/quote-rant.shtml
​Thank you for the linked, bookmarked​

​for future reference.​

Re: object not compiling

Re: object not compiling

Re: object not compiling

Lee Shallis
On 30 May 2016 at 15:07, Keith Marshall <[hidden email]> wrote:
You're welcome, but I suggest you actually read it now; it might help
you to understand how you're wasting both your own, and my time.
https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/305295220;132659582;e

​I did read it but as you have rightly pointed out the topic is getting derailed​ so lets make this the last post on that topic
and move back to helping me understand where I'm going wrong in the mentioned makefile snippet that would cause
the compilation of $(O)user.o and $(O)test.o to be ignored despite all the $(O)Codit%.o files being compiled just fine
using the same variable ($(TARGET_OBJECTS)) to indicate they're a required file for the executable to be compiled.

Re: object not compiling

Lee Shallis
On 30 May 2016 at 15:54, Keith Marshall <[hidden email]> wrote:
here, you are asking for $(TARGET_OBJECTS) to be interpreted, as a
target-specific variable, within the *prerequisites* for the rule;
this is *not* within the commands, so this simply will not work as you
want it to.

​Oh so that's why, is there a way to do it how I intended?​

Re: object not compiling

Re: object not compiling

Lee Shallis
On 30 May 2016 at 16:21, Keith Marshall <[hidden email]> wrote:
Keep it simple.  Just declare the prerequisite dependencies directly;
don't get embroiled in unnecessary use of complex features, especially
when you don't fully understand their limitations.  You don't need to
use target-specific variables here, (especially since they don't meet
your requirements).

​Okay for now I'm just gonna go with this sort of setup in the target.mk files
test: paths $(OBJECTS) $(O)test.o
$(O)test.o: $(PROCLST_H)​

​But I still haven't given up on the idea of generated prerequisites.

Re: object not compiling