Quantcast

problems with winsock2 in mingw

aTechman
This post was updated on .
       I have been trying to compile a recent copy of cgminer with minGW. After finding the right
 packages for the first half of setting it up for the make I got errors saying that at some point
 it thinks this program is using winsock 1 when the headers it specify as using say winsock2.h.
is there a good way to find out where it thinks I'm using the older file and make sure it's compiling
 with the file I think it's supposed to use ?

       I really don't want to rewrite this program I want to run since I think it's been
compiled many time using Linux so I'd hope the instructions cgminer gave for windows
are still somewhat accurate and should be compile-able(even though I still had to search
for some non specified version packages).

Thanks

Re: problems with winsock2 in mingw

Keith Marshall-3
On 16/01/14 03:09, Chris Hunt wrote:
> I have been trying to compile a recent copy of cgminer with minGW...

I don't have an answer for you, but I will offer a few words of advice:
please adjust your mailer settings, so we receive plain text ONLY, with
lines folded at around 70 characters.

As posted, your query is barely legible.

Re: problems with winsock2 in mingw

aTechman
I tried to re-edit on nabble page here in regards to my problem Just in case someone
 normally checks there. I'll try to double check next time to make sure html is off and
see if there's a way to trim to a certain size.

Here's the link
http://mingw.5.n7.nabble.com/problems-with-winsock2-in-mingw-td33123.html

Re: problems with winsock2 in mingw

Gisle Vanem-2
"aTechman" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I tried to re-edit on nabble page here in regards to my problem Just in case
> someone
> normally checks there. I'll try to double check next time to make sure html
> is off and
> see if there's a way to trim to a certain size.
>
> Here's the link
> http://mingw.5.n7.nabble.com/problems-with-winsock2-in-mingw-td33123.html

I didn't understand much of what you've written there. But you could start
by adding '-DWIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN' to your CFLAGS.

--gv

Re: problems with winsock2 in mingw

Renato Silva

2014/1/16 Chris Hunt <[hidden email]>
I have been trying to compile a recent copy of cgminer with minGW. After finding the right packages for the first half of setting it up for the make I got errors saying that at some point it thinks this program is using winsock 1 when the headers it specify as using say winsock2.h. is there a good way to find out where it thinks I'm using the older file and make sure it's compiling with the file I think it's supposed to use ?

I really don't want to rewrite this program I want to run since I think it's been compiled many time using Linux so I'd hope the instructions cgminer gave for windows are still somewhat accurate and should be compile-able(even though I still had to search for some non specified version packages).

Thanks

This thread may help you.

Re: problems with winsock2 in mingw

aTechman
So using lean and mean may stop the problem for making sure I get winsock 2 files to add with what I'm trying to compile?

 Is there a way to fix this in the long term. I went through the files and error I got said the files are included with and didn't see an include winsock.h even though its saying Its in them (maybe one of the other included files wants it?). The mailing list is text only so I really can't post a pic but here's a link to a place I posted a pic of the error.

http://drillbitsystem.com/forum/index.php?topic=265.msg2553#msg2553

I did think maybe I could just take winsock.h out of the include folder for mingGW and then it still wanted it regardless.

I hope the picture gives you a better heads up what I'm saying. If it turns up someone notices where its called I gotta make sure to let them know.

Thanks

On 16/01/14 21:55, aTechman wrote:
> So using lean and mean may stop the problem for making sure I get
> winsock 2 files to add with what I'm trying to compile?

The *best* option is to #include winsock2.h, and *do not* #include
windows.h; only if you find that winsock2.h alone is not enough, should
you need to #include windows.h too, in which case you must either[*]:

1) ensure that you #include winsock2.h *before* windows.h, (or any other
#include which might indirectly #include windows.h).

2) #define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN *before* you #include any header, (in
particular, windows.h, either directly, or indirectly).

[*] Or maybe, do both of the above.

> Is there a way to fix this in the long term.

Yes.  You must follow the rules, when you #include winsock2.h; don't
#include windows.h, or if you must, see (1) and (2) above.

> I went through the files and error I got said the files are included
> with and didn't see an include winsock.h even though its saying Its
> in them (maybe one of the other included files wants it?).

windows.h will #include winsock.h, *unless* WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN is
#defined beforehand, or you #include winsock2.h first.

> I did think maybe I could just take winsock.h out of the include
> folder for mingGW and then it still wanted it regardless.

No, you cannot do that; windows.h demands it, and by removing it you
will break your MinGW installation.

BTW, this was all clearly spelled out, in the discussion thread to which
Renato Silva directed you.