ruby for msys

Ralph Engels

Re: ruby for msys

Greg Chicares-2
On 2012-02-25 22:49Z, Ralph Engels wrote:

> I just uploaded ruby 1.8.3 for msys to my site.
> So far it seems to work fine i even got rails running but im not
> a ruby developer so if someone could give it a try reports are welcome.
>
> You might need to rebase (atleast i had to) but after it runs just
> fine it seems.

If anyone uses "gems" not obtained through your distribution,
then they might need to be rebased, too--see:

Re: ruby for msys

Ralph Engels

Re: ruby for msys

Ralph Engels

Re: ruby for msys

Ralph Engels

Re: ruby for msys

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Ralph Engels <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just uploaded ruby 1.8.3 for msys to my site.
> So far it seems to work fine i even got rails running but im not
> a ruby developer so if someone could give it a try reports are welcome.
>
> You might need to rebase (atleast i had to) but after it runs just
> fine it seems.
>
> the package can be found here.
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/cbadvanced/files/Msys%20Specific/msys-ruby-1.8.7z/download
>
> Let me know how it works for you.

This is something that does not fit the purpose of MinGW.org providing
MSYS.  Can you convince me why Ruby would be needed under the MSYS
Runtime?  There is already a Windows version of it.  The purpose of
MSYS is simply to provide a mechanism to execute a typical configure
script to create a Makefile to be able to execute make.  I have not
seen a configure script that uses Ruby.

Re: ruby for msys

Charles Wilson-8
On 2/27/2012 8:19 AM, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> This is something that does not fit the purpose of MinGW.org providing
> MSYS.  Can you convince me why Ruby would be needed under the MSYS
> Runtime?  There is already a Windows version of it.  The purpose of
> MSYS is simply to provide a mechanism to execute a typical configure
> script to create a Makefile to be able to execute make.  I have not
> seen a configure script that uses Ruby.

While I agree that we should follow the "Minimal" nature of msys for
core and extension tools, and not try to replace cygwin, the
"contributed" part of our toolset is not so restricted, IIRC.

And there is nothing that prevents any third party from providing any
add-on tools they want, from their own website, regardless of any
policies we may have. (In fact, it's possible our policies for "what" is
accepted into our "contributed" area should be quite loose -- so that we
can be strict on "how" those contributed items are packaged.  That is,
we can use "contributed" as a quality-control for addon packages --
'these aren't core, but have been validated to play well with others';
if they are relegated to third-party-site pariah status, then they may
not, probably will not, play well with core/extended.)

Finally, even if we decide on some set of rules for "our" contributed
area that excludes ruby, I think it's appropriate for external
contributors to at least mention their mingw-get-compatible offerings here.

--
Chuck

Re: ruby for msys

Ralph Engels

Re: ruby for msys

Ralph Engels

Re: ruby for msys

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Charles Wilson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/27/2012 8:19 AM, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>> This is something that does not fit the purpose of MinGW.org providing
>> MSYS.  Can you convince me why Ruby would be needed under the MSYS
>> Runtime?  There is already a Windows version of it.  The purpose of
>> MSYS is simply to provide a mechanism to execute a typical configure
>> script to create a Makefile to be able to execute make.  I have not
>> seen a configure script that uses Ruby.
>
> While I agree that we should follow the "Minimal" nature of msys for
> core and extension tools, and not try to replace cygwin, the
> "contributed" part of our toolset is not so restricted, IIRC.

Ok, but in order to not replace Cygwin, even such a contributed module
should prove a need to be MSYS runtime dependent, IMO.  There are some
items that just work better in cooperation with MSYS as an MSYS
dependent app and those I would agree should become a contributed MSYS
module.

> Finally, even if we decide on some set of rules for "our" contributed
> area that excludes ruby, I think it's appropriate for external
> contributors to at least mention their mingw-get-compatible offerings here.

Of course.

Re: ruby for msys